York Region stretches north from Toronto to Lake Simcoe and includes many hectares of protected Greenbelt. The diversity of York Region’s population and geography is evident in its nine local municipalities: Aurora, East Gwillimbury, Georgina, King, Markham, Newmarket, Richmond Hill, Vaughan, and Whitchurch-Stouffville.
York Region has over 1,000 kilometres of cycling facilities including bike lanes, trails, boulevard paths, paved shoulders, and signed bike-friendly routes, and is attracting a growing number of cyclists every year. Whether it’s cycling for your daily transportation needs, touring the quiet and scenic rural areas, or out on a trail for a recreational ride, explore York Region by bike! Check out the many cycling-related events happening near you.
York Region is a Local Supporter of Bike Month, which kicks off with Bike to Work Day and continues throughout June with a number of rides, workshops, festivals, and races going on across York Region. Follow @BikeMonth on Twitter and use the #YorkCycling hashtag!
Watch inspiring videos about cyclists from around York Region! New "My York Region Cycling Story" videos will be posted weekly in celebration of Bike Month.
Smart Commute Markham-Richmond Hill is featuring cyclists from their Smart Commute workplaces on the Cyclist Superstar blog!
Participate in York Region’s Cycling Photo Contest and Cycling Video Challenge. Winners will receive a bike shop gift card, and top photos will be featured in the 2018 York Region Cycling Calendar. Contest information available at york.ca/cyclingphotocontest and York.ca/cyclingvideochallenge
York Region Discovery Bike Rides are FREE! Join York Region staff on a series of free themed bike rides and discover just how fun cycling is. The rides vary in length, difficulty and location. There is something for everyone. Adventures await!
Many resources are available at York.ca/cycling to help residents and visitors plan their trips:
- The York Region Cycling Handbook is a practical guide containing rules of the road and safety tips
- The York Region Cycling Map shows the bicycle lanes, paths, trails, paved shoulders, and bicycle-friendly routes
- The York Region Cycling Tour Map suggests ten self-guided cycle tours that highlight the best of what York Region has to offer cyclists. It also includes family cycling, mountain biking and BMX options
- The York Region Cycling Yearbook: 2016 State of Cycling provides information on current cycling initiatives and inspiration to work together for a more bike-friendly future
- Our Cycling Event site that has many interesting events listed throughout the year
- Bike To Go Map: if you live within 5 kilometres, cycling to the GO Station can be fast, easy and fun. Try one of these suggested routes and store your bike in a secure bike shelters. Whether you ride a ten-speed, cruiser, mountain, or foldable, try putting a different spin on the way you connect to GO.
York Bike Month Events:
a. Every Thursday from May 11, 2017 to September 14, 2017 at 7 p.m. – Thursday Night Time Trial
b. Saturday, May 27, 2017 – York Region Family Fun Day
c. Sunday, May 28, 2017 – The Lake Ride
d. Monday, May 29, 2017 – Bike to Work Day
e. Monday, May 29, 2017 to Friday, June 2, 2017 – Bike to School Week
f. Sunday, June 4, 2017 – Zareinu Moveathon
g. Sunday, June 4, 2017 at 9:30 a.m. – Hike or Bike for Hospice Vaughan
h. Sunday, June 4, 2017 – York Regional Police Ride 4 Styles
i. Sunday, June 4, 2017 and Sunday June 25, 2017 – MHF Ride for Health
j. Saturday, June 10, 2017 – Moraine for Life Relay Adventure
k. Saturday, June 10, 2017 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. – Take A Kid Mountain Biking Day
l. Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 8 a.m. – Tour de Speed
m. Sunday, June 25, 2017 – Meta Foundation Grand Fondo
n. Sunday, June 25, 2017 – Journey for Janice
o. Sunday, June 25, 2017 – CMHA Ride Don’t Hide
For more information on the events please visit: York.ca/cycling