Bike to School Week events can take place inside or outside the classroom. They can involve the entire student population, students and staff already riding to school, or those most likely to start. On this page you will find ideas and guidance, as well as supports specific to your region or school board.
Download the Bike to School Week Guide for Schools for help with planning activities in the classroom, in the schoolyard and in the neighbourhood. The Guide includes templates for letters for families and other handy tools. Scroll down for more resources!
Guides and Handouts
- Bike to School Week Guide for Schools, by CultureLink
- Young Cyclist’s Guide, by the Ontario Ministry of Transportation
- Cycling Skills: Ontario's Guide to Safe Cycling, by the Ontario Ministry of Transportation
- Helmets by Parachute Canada
- Bookmark-sized illustration about helmet fit by Parachute Canada
- One-page handout about cycling safety by Parachute Canada
- Toronto Helmet Initiative (municipal and school board partnership, includes guidance, poster, bookmark and video)
- Bike Rodeo Community Kit by the Peel Safe and Active Routes to School Committee
- Tips for Organizing Successful Bike Rodeos by Ontario Active School Travel
- Bike to School Week Activity Ideas by Ontario Active School Travel
- Bike Helmets 101 by CAN-BIKE, Manitoba Cycling Association, and the Province of Manitoba
- Bike Handling Skills 101 video by CAN-BIKE, Manitoba Cycling Association, and the Province of Manitoba
- Bike Helmet Safety by Parachute Canada
- Safety is Everyone’s Responsibility, Get Fit! and Academic Benefits by Peel District School Board
- Learn the ABC Quick Check! by the Active Transportation Alliance (Chicago)
- Active and Sustainable School Travel Lesson Plans (grade 1,5 and 9) by Metrolinx and CultureLink
- The Ontario Road Safety Resource developed in partnership with the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario, Ophea and the Canadian Automobile Association
- Guide to Ride, including 10 lesson plans (grades 4-6) by PHE Canada
- The 10 Step Handbook for High School Bike Projects, Region of Peel and Green Communities Canada
- Creating Cycling Education Programs: A Toolkit, Safe Cycling Thunder Bay and CAN-BIKE, the national cycling education program
- Making Tracks (safety and skills leader training in five modes of active transportation), Ecology Action Centre, Nova Scotia
- School Travel Planning Toolkit, Ontario Active School Travel
Municipal cycling websites
Register for Bike to School Week!
Visit biketoschoolweek.ca to register your school and join the celebration!