Published May 08, 2019 15:05
Discover Hidden Gems in your community.
Looking for somewhere fresh to ride? We are excited to launch a brand new Hidden Gems series as part of Bike Month across the GTHA and Guelph. These weekly features will give you insider tips on some of the best trails, paths, and on-street bike facilities. Whether you cycle to work, ride the trails on the weekend, or bike to get around town, we hope you’ll find a hidden gem. Then, share it with a friend, colleague, or family member who wants to give biking a try this spring.
Second up: this scenic trail network will lead you to quiet ponds, parks, and birdwatching hotspots.
Rouge Valley Trail
The Rouge Valley Trail in Markham offers a variety of landscapes and terrains for people walking, biking, and wheeling.
Discover hidden gems like Toogood Pond, Austin Drive Park and Mildred Temple Park.
Ride the Rouge Trail over to the Milne Dam Conservation Area - Markham’s largest park - to find some peace and quiet.
You’ll find trails, picnic spots, and fishing.
The trail is easy to moderate and great for cycling, walking, and birdwatching, too! Get out and enjoy York Region.
Access the Rouge Valley Trail from Main Street Unionville and follow the trail along the Rouge River.
Ride and win!
Did you know you could win a prize just by riding your bike during Bike Month? Sign up for the contest and you'll be entered to win one of six $300 MEC gift cards.
There are three easy ways to enter:
- Ride your bike to school or work on Monday, May 27
- Participate in an official Bike to Work Day event
- Ride your bike during Bike Month (May 27-June 30)
Once you register, get bonus entries in two ways: download the Commute Tracker app and log one or more trips, and recruit a friend through email/social media using a unique link. The contest closes at midnight on May 27, 2019.
Get ready to ride on Bike to Work Day in York Region!
- Kick off the cycling season with group rides, community events, and more! Visit the Events Calendar for details.
- On May 27, join the Smart Commute Markham, Richmond Hill network for a 10 km group ride in the Highway 7 and 16th Avenue Corridor. Details here.
- In Newmarket? Join Smart Commute Central York and kick-off the cycling season on May 27! Details here.
- Tell us what you’re up to during Bike Month! Tag @YorkRegionGovt, using #BikeYorkRegion #BikeMonth
Where do you ride?
Let us know where you’re riding by tagging us on Twitter and Facebook, and/or using #BikeMonthGTHA and #BikeMonth across social media platforms.
Photos by Nicholas Jones